Friday, December 01, 2006


Had my surgery back on the 23rd and today seems like the first day i can actually say i have little or no pain. I got out of the operating room around 5:pm on the 23rd and several hours later i was home in Cape Ray. They call it a day surgery here and practically kick you out the minute you wake from the surgery. The next morning my wife drove me 200 kilometers back to the hospital to see the doctor. I then found out i was not nearly as tough as i thought i was . The doctor had some sort of object embedded in my eye socket and removed it. He had to grip it and tug real hard and the minute it came out, i passed out for a few seconds. I also blacked out later in the hospital lobby but luckily my son was there to catch me from hitting the floor. Few days ago i returned to see the doctor and he inserted a conformer in my eye and it'll remain there until i get fitted for the artificial eye. I'll be seeing the doctor again next week for a check-up and have a surgical bandage removed from my hip. They grafted some fat from my hip in the eye socket The hip incision lies beneath the underwear or bathing suit area. The fat is trimmed and implanted into the sunken appearing upper lid (sulcus) making a 1-inch long eyelid skin crease incision. A pocket is made for the fat graft, which is then implanted followed by skin closure. If everything goes well,i should have an artificial eye in place by late January.

8 comments:

EDITORS: Ghost Rider said...

Hey Wayne glad to hear you are ok and doing well after the surgery, the best to you in the future, and a Merry christmas to you and the Family and may the new year be a good one to you.

J. C. and Linda

Table Mountains said...

thank you J.C. & Linda.

Justin said...

I'm glad to hear that you're on the way to recovery as well Wayne. If it's any reassurance at all, my grandmother had a similar problem, and a similar procedure. In no time at all she adjusted to her artificial eye, and all went well for her for many more years until her death of totally unrelated causes. She had the procedure more than 30 years ago however, so I'm sure there's been loads of improvements since then. You'll be back to your old self in no time my friend.

stephen said...

Hope you're feeling better Wayne and have a good recovery.

Steve Penney
NLDL

Anonymous said...

Hi Wayne,
There is an excelent book called "A One Eyed View Of Life". It is written and self published be Terry Spring. You can call him at Springs Pharmacy. He is a member of the group "Cyclops circle" The book is full of helpfull hints on how to deal with monocular vision. You might also like to look at www.geelen.com.au
This site has stories of eye loss. There is also a section in information called "Going home after Surgery". Worth a look

Table Mountains said...

thanks for the info paul.i have no trouble dealing with monocular vision. i've been blind in the left eye since i had a childhood accident.my only regret was that i couldn't join the military.

Anonymous said...

Hi Table mountains...saw you on downhomer followed you here...you seem interesting...would love to chat sometime...comment back here if interested...Southernfalconer

Table Mountains said...

hello southernfalconer,i spend quite a bit of time in the DH kitchen. are you a member there?