Wednesday, January 04, 2006


If you have a foul tasting Rum unfit for human consumption,what do you do with it? Most people would throw it away,most people! It's waste not,want not in Newfoundland. Not only do we use it,we get to torture the unsuspecting with it here.We make them screech,really!......But Wait,There's More! We extend the torture,we have become masters of it here on the island.We also force feed them bits of salt fish(capelin) small chunks of baloney(commonly known as bologna to the uneducated,newfoundland steak to the rest of us) and kiss a CODFISH ! Those that take the torture,do it willingly!About now your saying,your kidding,why would someone sit and take this torture?Why?......because after it's all over we present them with a certificate and tell the poor friggers they're now Honourable Newfies.We have even gave the dirty deed a name. We call it a Screech In.I have seen quite a few, photographed, videotaped and even made up certificates for the victims.The Newfoundland audience gets to laugh their ass off all the way through the ceremony. Those on the receiving end, after a gulp of the Screech become a bit light headed and actually think they're becoming Newfies due to that fact. The last thing we get them to do is stand and yell some phrase like "Long may your big jib draw." I assure that this is the only time that phrase is uttered here in Newfoundland. Rumor has it that the same procedure was adopted by The Church of Scientology and that's why Tom Cruise is still in it.Tom never got over the lightheadedness of the Screech effect. A SCREECH IN.

8 comments:

NL-ExPatriate said...

Me thinks we need to do a little political screeching in with the Party Leaders! He He

EDITORS: Ghost Rider said...

Yep Wayne I totured myself years ago with some of that stuff, infact it was up in Corner Brook, got a pint bottle right here at my PC desk I will have to take a pic of it and paste it up on my blog, by the way a great shot of Cape Ray, keep em' coming.

Strow said...

Wayne,
I see in a post of the drifters blog you said that the Liqour commission changed the label to try and attrack more buyers. They actually changed the blending on the screech too, and now it tastes more like old sam i find. I worked at the Liqour store in PAB the summer and we did a free tasting during come home year and I had a hard job to try and give a bottle away. I tasted for 2 hours and i got roughly half the bottle gone. Had a drink or 2 myself before i went home!!

Voted again!!

EDITORS: Ghost Rider said...

Hey Srow been over checking out your site and listen to your music not bad....you any kin to Kevin Strowbridge over at offdarock.com?

Strow said...

no relation at all drifter sorry. thanks fo rth ekind words on the music. were played alot of times at the backlot (univeristy bar in corner brook) and we simply becamse known as da byes.

if you like the music let me know i have about 30 mp3s of us

EDITORS: Ghost Rider said...

Hey Strow...how do we go about getting some of your MP3's? let me know, Im getting a site setup where we go to on Friday and Saturday nights and play music, all kinds of music from Newfoundland, bluegrass old Do wop you name it. we probably have one of the best voice chat rooms on the net for a personal site.

We do not have it totally completed but hope to have it finished by next weekend. www.talkoftherock.com I had a lot of good times up in Corner Brook back in my younger days, nice place, keep up the good work.

EDITORS: Ghost Rider said...

Strow I was just thinking when I get this site up and going maybe we could get you and Da Byes to drop by one nught and do a live song for us.

EDITORS: Ghost Rider said...

Strow I was reading your guys bio's seen that Bobby Snow is from St Anthony's a good friend of mine by the name of Bob Porter is from there, love his music...Wave the Flag...Up She Rises two of my favorites.