Sunday, January 01, 2006

Made a short ATV run today with a friend around the community and to the seashore here. We saw a few seals and shot a few pics of them.Soon the ice will be entering the Gulf and the pans will bring many more seals to the area and once again the eyes of the world will be focused on my province and its people.Greenpeace will be raking in millions of dollars from contributions to stop the annual seal harvest that we have been doing for almost 500 years. Pretty little photos of White Coat Seal pups will be displayed to the public asking to stop the hunt.(the white coat hunt stopped decades ago) Paris Hilton will once again be out screaming "club sandwiches,not seals" and im sure a few more hollywood celebrities will be taking up the cause also. It's not pretty,clubbing seals on ice floes and no one does it for sport no more then the texas cattleman, ontario chicken producer does when they slaughter their animals. Ours is done in a pristine enviroment with a group of animal rights observers filming while its been done. The cattle farmer or chicken producer does not have that problem. A shot here of my community and the Table Mountains in the background.The old Hood Seal here wasn't to excited about me photographing him and at 7 feet or so in length i decided not to approach to close. I would give my next years wages to see some Hollywood chick try and rub this guys nose. I doubt if they would want to make him their poster child. Here's another one below that might be more likeable to them.That's my ATV and community in the background. Several families in that community depend on the seal fishery for some income and their family for many generations before them. In a few months we'll see their livelihood once again threatened by millionaires with a cause.

4 comments:

Justin said...

Boy do I feel your pain on this one Wayne, seems that no matter what we do there's some moron with cash trying to shut it down. Even here in Montana we have a growing population of anti hunting idiots from the city trying to shut down our way of life, and we won't even talk about the animal righters and how they harass the ranchers and God forbid, the rodeos. I don't advocate cruelty to animals, no real human does, but killing an animal and eating it doesn't constitute cruelty in my book. Animals eat each other, why the hell is it so wrong when we do it? It's just survival, nothing more, nothing less.

EDITORS: Ghost Rider said...

Wayne some nice pictures especially the one with the Table Mountains in the background....I'm sure you will have Paris Hilton and the gang out in force, see they have so much money and do not know what to do with it so they think they have to take up this cause to deprive other people of making a living or providing for their families...go figure....and keep the pic's and stories coming I enjoy them...Infact if I could talk the wife into going to Tennessee when I retire next year that is the kind of life I would be living, but her being a Townie, I do not see that happening

Justin said...

I think we'd all be better off if Paris Hilton reallized that she's only good for one thing, and it ain't saving the world if you know what I mean. I don't know exactly what the one thing is that she's good for, but I'm sure everyone has their own ideas . . . ;)

NL-ExPatriate said...

Thanks for the Pics Wayne!
Oh to be independantly wealthy and live in Cape Ray!