Wednesday, January 25, 2006


Years ago when backpacking i use to have trouble finding or buying a good topographic map for that purpose. I remember sending a money order out to some government office and weeks later receiving a map of the area i needed. Sometimes i ended up with a map from another area of Newfoundland, a hundred miles away from the one i ordered. If only the resources of today could be found back then! Today i can download a program called Google Earth and have the world at a mouse click.I can zoom pass the lakes and mountains that i backpacked across and actually see details greater then one could ever imagine back then.With the movement of a mouse i can leave the Table Mountains of Cape Ray and view an Iranian nuclear powerplant under construction near the city of Bushehr. These two plants are one of the reasons that Iran and the west don’t get along and it's all available for me to view from a PC screen in Cape Ray.
Not only is big brother watching you, im watching you also!

3 comments:

Strow said...

thats cool stuff wayne, i was tesing that google earth out a few months ago and its pretty neat.

as for the kinsmen idea, I will have a chat with ducky and tammy o quinn and a few people I know and we will see what we can do. Sounds like a great idea and I would love to play there for a good cause and then we would finally get to meet.

Shockin you like 10 minutes away I have never met you. In time I guess.

Stephen Eli Harris said...

Thats just scary man.

Stephen
http://eliharris.blogspot.com/
http://NLGreenParty.blogspot.com

Justin said...

Just remember Wayne, the pics on Google Earth aren't real time, most of them are a year or two old. I found my house on it and from where my motorhome was sitting in the yard I could tell the pic was at least 2 years old since I hadn't parked it there in a long time.

Have you ever looked at Pearl Harbor? You can see the USS Arizona under water, even see the oil slick coming off of it. I can sit around exploring on that darn thing for hours, it's really addictive.